Friday, January 14, 2011

Torrey Pines State Reserve Field Trip

I have really enjoyed having both of my children in school full time. I get lots of free time, plus I am able to help out with school functions more freely. Today I got to chaperon Dominick's class to the Torrey Pines State Reserve.
It was beautiful. I am excited to have found a new place to take my family to on our days off. It's a great place to hike and just take in the beauty that surrounds us.


The class learning all about the animal and plant life in the reserve. They also learned about the different layers of rock and earth that we would be seeing. Very educational, I learned a lot of new things today!

The Torrey Pine Tree, only found in Southern California and on an island 160 miles NW. It is different because of its "5 fingered" needle bunches.

The kids examining the needle bunches.

The "red butte" or as we learned today, the Linda Vista layer of rocks. They get the reddish color from all of the iron deposits (rust...)

One of the cliffs along the shore line. Such a breathtaking view. You can see the trails and hikers too, one of these days I would like to try all of the trails.


After lunch we got to enjoy the state beach. The kids were thrilled! They acted like they had never been to a beach before ( I have to say it's pretty cool to do that on school time).


The kids searching for "souvenir's", they weren't allowed to take anything from the reserve but the beach was a free for all. And those kids took advantage!



And class B8! A pretty amazing group!

1 comment:

Jeni said...

so fun! I'm looking forward to the day I can help out more in school