Sunday, May 23, 2010

A year goes by.....

It is coming up on one year since we have moved from Boston. So I began to reflect on what has transpired for the Cherrey Family this year.

~ 2 moves, equaling around 5,000 miles on the road.
~ 2 new schools for Dominick
~ Another separation from my husband, this one lasting 3 months
~ Downsizing in living quarters (AGAIN)
~ New places, new faces, new friendships
~ Survival on the bare necessities (yes our lives are still in storage)!
~ The end of Nursing school
~ The end of a Navy career
~ The beginning of "civilian" life
~ The beginning of "retirement"

I know there is a whole lot more! This is just a little of the basics. But the past year just seems a little hazy to me. It has been a whole whirlwind of activity, our lives seem to have been in a constant commotion but at the same time it seems like we were at a stand still. Holding our breath and waiting to see what would happen.

Now it's happening and it feels like everything has been put on fast-forward! We are being forced to make and do everything that we have talked about doing for years! My kids dream of actually having real beds and "real" toys to play with (you know, the ones that they really like and had to put away). They dream of having a home that is theirs, not someone else's that we will have to leave.

I dream of having my own dishes, having my food processor, baking dishes, cookbooks. I dream of a real couch and enough chairs in the house that we can actually have company over. I dream of pictures on the walls and actually feeling like I am coming "home" when we walk through the door.

We are still in waiting mode, but it's waiting in fast-forward. Life is coming at us full speed ahead and we are scrambling to meet it head on. I'm not sure how that collision will affect our family but we look forward to the challenge.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Why does this optimistic post make me want to cry?!?! Because... its been a YEAR! wahahahaahahhh! I'm glad things are moving ahead for you guys and with the way things have been it seems like some smooth current must be headed your way. Wish you each all the best and cant' wait til our worlds can collide again. Do you have a webcam?

Dayane said...

muito bom seu blog adoreii..me segue tb to te seguindo